The Science Work
History
Site is for sale: mail@thesciencework.com
Category: History

How did it begin? (To the history of library service in the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Science)



bibliotekovedeny

UDC 02 BBK 78.38

HOW IT BEGAN?

(To the HISTORY of LIBRARY SERVICE In the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Science)

© L.P. Pavlova, 2007

Office of the State Public Scientific Technical Library of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences 630090, Novosibirsk, AkademikaM Ave. A. Lavrentyeva, 6

The author of article works in the system of libraries of the Siberian office of RAS since 1960 L.P. Pavlova stood at the origins of formation of the academic libraries in the Novosibirsk scientific center what she devotes the memoirs to.

With what library service of the Siberian science began? Its roots leave in military years when in 1944 there was the West Siberian branch of Academy of Sciences of the USSR, and at it library of branch. The library served research associates of six institutes: Mining, Chemical and metallurgical, Transportnoenergetichesky, Biological, Botanical garden and Radiophysics and electronics. The uniform location of all institutes gave the chance to centralize currency allocations, states, material supplies. For more successful solution of essential tasks of development of science in the east of the country in post-war years the Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR issued the resolution "About the Organization of East Office of Academy of Sciences of the USSR Library" in Novosibirsk (resolution of Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR No. 440 of August 17, 1956). It was created for service of the Ural, West Siberian, East Siberian, Yakut, Far East branches and the Sakhalin complex research institute Academy of Sciences of the USSR. East office of Academy of Sciences of the USSR Library (VOBAN) was organized on the basis of library of the West Siberian branch. Order of Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR No. 55-100 of January 14

1957 the fund of library decided in 3-4 million volumes on the subsequent construction of a special book-depository for it. Completing of VOBAN funds was assigned to the Sector of network of special libraries Academy of Sciences of the USSR, it was also the methodical center for new library.

But the science did not stand still. In May, 1957 the Siberian office of Academy of Sciences of the USSR was organized (WITH

Academy of Sciences of the USSR). In this situation it was necessary to adapt the developing system of library service for needs of the developing science. As VOBAN did not submit to the Siberian office, a number of organizational measures for service of scientists and experts FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR was developed. To VOBAN and network of libraries at scientific institutions the bibliotechnobibliografichesky service of all institutions FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR in Novosibirsk and was assigned to peripheries. Was defined that in future VOBAN has to become the central library of network FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR what the Academy of Sciences of the USSR Library (BAN) was offered to draft the new provision on VOBAN for. Such situation was connected with the fact that the Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR considered it expedient to keep in the first years of existence of the Siberian office the general management of the VOBAN organization and networks of libraries of scientific institutions FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR behind library of Academy of Sciences of the USSR as "without having the central library, it would be difficult for Siberian office to organize this work" (from the letter of the president of Academy of Sciences of the USSR A.N. Nesmeyanov to the Deputy Minister of Finance of the USSR K.H. Yanbukhtin on the issue of registration of states of Library of East office of Academy of Sciences of the USSR of January 17, 1958). In 1958. The library commission at Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR approved the Provision on VOBAN (No. 43 of July 30

1958 ). Its tasks were defined rather widely: the library is urged to carry out comprehensive library service of all Siberian office with its institutes, branches, stations and expeditions. VOBAN became a floor -

a chat the obligatory complimentary copy of printed materials, to it the rights of a book-exchange both within the country, and abroad were granted. All libraries of Academy of Sciences of the USSR scientific institutions in Siberia and in the Far East had to be a part of the system of VOBAN, in functions of office there was a centralized completing of all libraries, the organization of summary catalogs and also all bibliographic and methodical work. But VOBAN was subordinated to Academy of Sciences of the USSR Library, on its representation the director of VOBAN was approved by Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR, the academic council approved by the Library commission at Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR was advisory body at directorate. Financial activity of office also the Presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR managed. Thus, there was a gap between subordination and financing of VOBAN and libraries of institutes of the Siberian office. And it was the first cause that libraries of institutes did not become links of uniform library network. The weakness of the VOBAN was other cause: it had neither experience of methodical work, nor the sufficient book fund meeting the growing requirements of scientific activity of the Siberian office, qualified personnel. By 1958 in structure of library there were only 3 departments: completing, processings of literature and service; the state totaled 29 people, fund - 152 thousand to bake. unit

The large universal scientific library was necessary for the developing scientific center. The leading scientists of the Siberian office appealed to the Government of the USSR to solve this problem. In 1958. The council of ministers of the USSR issued Resolution No. 1154 of October 17 on the organization of the State Public Scientific Technical Library in Novosibirsk on the basis of GNB of the Ministry of the higher education of the USSR and about its transfer to maintaining FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR. The presidium of Academy of Sciences of the USSR the order No. 376-2077 of October 29, 1958 provided the end of construction of the new building of State Public Scientific Technical Library in

1961 , but practically it became operational only in 1966. Till this time the library and bibliographic service of scientists and specialists of the Novosibirsk Scientific Center (NSC) was carried out in three ways: 1) by means of the organization of branch reading rooms of State Public Scientific Technical Library in the Campus on the basis of the transferred GNB funds; 2) funds of the former VOBAN in Novosibirsk which was transformed further to Office of State Public Scientific Technical Library FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR and is transferred to the Campus; 3) special libraries at institutes FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR.

But such system developed a bit later. In 1960 the library service was based on Sovetskaya St., 20 of Novosibirsk where in

basements there took place completing of libraries, departments of completing and processing were placed; on Derzhavin St. where the subscription of VOBAN was open; in the Campus where at Institute of hydrodynamics - the firstborn of scientific center - libraries of different institutes and also in houses (libraries of Institutes of mathematics, history, physiology) were placed. Formation of library service in NNC began with creation of special libraries.

Special libraries function directly in the research establishments (RE). They are designed to carry out the most important tasks of routine maintenance of scientists. Distinctive feature of this type of libraries is the direct connection with science, with the serviced research institute. In organizational legal relations of library of institutes administrations of institute are subordinated. They are a part of the system of one of the central libraries Academy of Sciences of the USSR, according to the place of its stay. The central library renders assistance to work of NIU libraries, provides the appropriate scientific and methodical level of their work, will coordinate activity of all libraries of concrete network. The NNC special libraries began to be formed in the majority, being in Moscow. They arrived in Novosibirsk with small book fund, in a row cases with the shots. As the uniform central library was not, completing of these libraries was conducted in various ways: some were completed through the Sector of network of special libraries, others - through VOBAN. The uniform centralized completing began through State Public Scientific Technical Library WITH Academy of Sciences of the USSR only since 1963 of Fonda of NIU libraries were replenished from exchange and reserve funds of large libraries of the USSR, from personal collections. It were gifts of many scientists to young scientific center, but most often purchase of collections. Such source of completing had the positive and negative sides. Undoubtedly, personal collections gave the most valuable editions which still are property only of the few libraries in funds of libraries. But practice of sale of these meetings "wholesale" had also a negative point for libraries, littering their funds with non-core and invaluable literature. The remark of the acting director of State Public Scientific Technical Library WITH Academy of Sciences of the USSR I. Suyetnov on the list of references from E.V. Alekseevsky's library acquired by library of Institute of inorganic chemistry can be an example: "The provided list of references is not checked neither according to lists of outdated editions, nor under Glavlit's orders. As a result in the list there are editions which lost scientific value. A part of the offered foreign books already a feather -

Vedeno into Russian, will hardly expediently get them in a foreign language". But the library was acquired completely. The library of Institute of hydrodynamics got a big collection of the academician N.N. Davidenkov. Along with the most valuable editions (for example, almost complete collection of works of the American scientist S. Tymoshenko), this collection contained many books and prints of articles on metallurgical science which were "center" of write-off. Growth rates of funds of library were high. So, in 1961 18 NNC libraries contained 485 thousand the furnace. unit, by 1963 the funds of the same libraries reached 747 thousand to bake. piece. But their distribution on institutes was extremely uneven. Practice of the Moscow and Leningrad special libraries shows that the optimum size of funds has to be 50-70 thousand the furnace. piece. In NNC already to

1962 the fund of libraries of Institutes of geology and geophysics, nuclear physics exceeded 100 thousand the furnace. unit whereas in library of Institute of mining it made 8 thousand, in library of the Botanical garden - 7 thousand. The category of libraries at that time depended on the number of fund therefore all libraries had an aspiration to increase it. The epic with the VINITI folders when libraries took prints of articles placed in RZh VINITI is memorable to much. Each print was considered as separate unit of fund that gave significant increase in fund. But the impossibility to physically process all these prints, inability to apply them in service of readers led to the fact that this work was abandoned also "folders" did not begin to be considered soon. Over time these materials were handed over in waste paper. And there was no place to store these funds. So, in the building of Institute of hydrodynamics till 1962 there were libraries of four institutes: institute and three institutes of a chemical profile: Organic chemistry, Catalysis and Inorganic chemistry. These libraries occupied tiny rooms or shared the basement with library of the main institute. So, in the basement of Institute of hydrodynamics on the area of 30 sq.m two libraries were placed, the curtain was dividing border. In 1962, libraries of institutes of Chemical kinetics and burning with fund in 33 thousand the furnace moved to the rooms. unit, Automatic equipment and elektrometriya with fund in 32 thousand, Mathematicians with fund in 50 thousand, Inorganic chemistry of-31 thousand, Organic chemistry - 50 thousand to bake. piece. In 1963 the rooms began to occupy libraries of Institute of physics of semiconductors (to bake fund of 35 thousand. unit), the Catalysis (28 thousand), in 1964 to own room the library of Institute of thermophysics with fund moved to 40 thousand the furnace. unit

Since 1963 the new stage of development of NNC libraries began. It was connected with the formation fact

State Public Scientific Technical Library FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR as central library. Primary activity of State Public Scientific Technical Library developed in this period in three directions: 1) transfer of funds from Moscow, 2) expansion of works on library service of readers and the organization of network of libraries, 3) construction of the new building and scheduling on moving to it. Transfer of funds from Moscow to Novosibirsk began in December, 1960 and took place in two stages: 1960-1964 - transportation of funds from Moscow and placement them in temporary rooms (the main book-depository - future garages of the Campus); July, 1964 - March, 1967 - repeated relocation of funds to own building of State Public Scientific Technical Library FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR. But service of readers was conducted also till this time. By 1964 in the Campus four branch reading rooms functioned: physical and mathematical sciences, technical science (in the building of Institute of geology and geophysics), social sciences (in the building of Institute of economy and the organization of production), chemical sciences (in the building of Institute of inorganic chemistry).

Various options of creation of an organizational system of libraries of the Siberian office of Academy of Sciences of the USSR which were studied these years at various levels are of interest. The library network during this period consisted of 17 NIU NNC libraries, 7 special libraries of the Irkutsk NC which methodically united library of the East Siberian branch, the Far East center was presented by one library of branch, the Yakut branch had the central library and library of Institute of permafrostology in the structure, the Krasnoyarsk center had 2 NIU libraries (Physics and the Woods and wood), in Ulan-Ude the library of complex institutes was placed, there were also libraries of Northeast branch and Institute of volcanology (Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky). It was necessary to develop an accurate organizational system for the management of such extensive network. Possible ways of development of library service also began to look for State Public Scientific Technical Library. In 1962 the provision "About Simplification and Specification of Network of Libraries FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR" was drafted. It defined a role of State Public Scientific Technical Library as central library in the field of the methodical management of all network, the centralized completing of libraries, the organization of spravochnobibliografichesky work. Libraries of branches FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR appeared the centers of library service of scientific data of branches. Libraries of complex institutes were given the functions similar to functions of libraries of branches. For NNC the creation of industry libraries on the basis of one or several in-was offered

the stitut belonging to this industry and being in proximity. For example, creation of industry chemical library in the Campus on the basis of four libraries of chemical institutes. Creation of industry libraries assumed merging of funds, states of several libraries and placement in other in-statutes of small help libraries. It is quite possible that such organization of industry libraries had many good points: it is elimination of duplication of funds, extension of the repertoire of currency editions with simultaneous reduction of allocations, creation of the summary help device, strengthening of help and bibliographic work, etc. Situation was discussed at a meeting of Library council at Presidium WITH Academy of Sciences of the USSR, at methodical meetings with libraries, but did not receive positive assessment. The fact is that institute libraries already existed, had the funds, states, rooms. None of the management of NIU of one industry wanted to leave the library entirely. Situation remained the project.

Other possible way of development of a system of library and bibliographic service to NNC was transformation of NIU libraries to offices of State Public Scientific Technical Library. The "Room system" existing during this period in the Fundamental biblio-

flow on social sciences, and is later in BEN Academy of Sciences of the USSR, would give the chance to increase category of libraries, without putting it into dependence on the number of book fund that for that period was defining. An indispensable condition of such system is uniform administrative submission to the central library. But heads of institutes did not want to change the existing administrative legal status of libraries, and Planned financial management FROM Academy of Sciences of the USSR did not find possible increase in rates to the libraries transformed to offices of State Public Scientific Technical Library.

Transfer of Office of State Public Scientific Technical Library to the Campus was a step to the positive organization of a uniform system of library service of NNC, as it was carried out in 1964. But that's another story.

And in conclusion there is a wish to remember bibliote-brown-enthusiasts who these difficult years of formation of library service the wheel of the libraries had. Many surnames were already forgotten, but, fortunately, not all. This is S.A. Chernobay, V.I. Zhukov, L.N. Balkov, L.V. Sazonov, N.A. Hazov, Z.V. Borodin, E.I. Kolesnikov, N.K. Poe-pondopulo, K.I. Epstein, I.V. Kiselyova. Unfortunately, many are already dead, but libraries of institutes revere their memory, and let their names will remain in the history of the academic libraries.

Material came to edition of 30.11.2006

Information about the author: Pavlova Leah Pavlovna is a candidate of pedagogical sciences, the senior research associate, ph. (383) 330-95-58, e-mail: lpp@prometeus.nsc.ru

Falk Viktoria
Other scientific works: